Monday, January 26, 2009

The Ciopinno Post

I'm supposed to be working today. Supposed to be is the key words here in this statement. Instead, my mind is elsewhere to later occurences in the day that have not happened yet. Why? Because the Strange One is coming to town. And with him I am promised answers. Or at least a ride to Toronto in which case, I can get more work done that I have not thought of doing yet today... then again, I can't do it here. I have to go to the city.

But really. I'm in this mood, this giddy on the verge of anxious because the Strange One is coming to town. I haven't felt this way since I was little girl on Christmas Eve, not waiting for Santa, but waiting for the flock of family that could come crawling up the drive way at two o' clock in the afternoon to eat cioppino.

**Tangent**

Cioppino is a California Italian-American creation. Right out of the San Francisco Bay Area. There's a story about Italian American fisherman and how they'd chip in the sea's daily harvest to create a banquet for friends, family and each other. Being a native Californian from an Italian American family, yea... Cioppino. It's what's for dinner.

Cioppino According to Nunabutt

Garlic - Yes, it's the number one ingredient for a reason. Use as much or as little as you like. I love Garlic, we have a special relationship. So, with the amount I use any Vampires I hang out with are screwed.
1/4 cup Olive Oil
8 Oil Cured Anchovies - It'll say on the package.
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 cup diced Celery - If you don't know a dice is a little tiny chop. Itsy bitsy cubes. And if you've never taken a culinary knife skills class, be thankfull. I never used to add celery into my Cioppino, but it was recommended by the Strange One and the idea of a mirapoix is not a bad one.
1/2 cup diced Carrot
1 large Onion, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced - Please do not try to substitute red with yellow, orange or green. It doesn't work. Trust me.
1 cup Red Wine
1 pint Vegtable Stock
1 pint Clam Juice
28oz can of Diced Tomatoes - Unseasoned, please.
1/2 cup Fresh Basil ciffonade - A ciffonade is a simple cut if you don't know how to do it already. Take the basil leaves you want to use and stack them flat on top of each other big to small. Once that is done roll the stack as if you're rolling a blunt. If you don't know how to roll a blunt, don't worry, just roll. Once that is done, julianne or thinly slice the tube of leaves.
Tabasco - Use to taste.
Worchestshire Sauce - Use to taste.
1/4 cup Fresh Parsley
2-3 tsp Lemon Juice

Dry Seasonings - Salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary, fennel. I've only ever used the salt pepper, but it's your kitchen. My recipe is only a guidline.

1/2lb Shrimp
24 Mussels
Crab Legs
1/2lb Scallops
1lb White Fish
16 Fresh Clams
8 Oysters
1 Lobstar Tail or Claws

**With the seafood, this is everything I've ever put into it. At one time, it's a pricey but exquisite adventure. Feel free to jumble the seafood at your convience and budget.

Sourdough Bread FRESH!

The how to:

Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add in the garlic and onions until they are just beginning to seat, then add in the carrots, celery and red bell. After sweating those together a good minute or two, add in the red wine and let simmer for 5 minutes. Then add in the veggie stock, clam juice, tomatoes and dry herbs EXCEPT the salt and pepper. Add in seafood (uncooked), lemon juice, tabasco and worchestershire sause and cover. Stir occasionally but let cook covered for 30 minutes. Serve hot with warm sourdough bread, fresh lemon wedge, tabasco and the fresh parsley and basil for garnish.



One helluva tangent that has made me momentarily lose my place and need to decide where to go. Ah. Right, it was meant to do that. I've worked myself to that place of a calm mind, albiet a slightly stoned mind. The work has to be done immediately is done. And I've somehow come up with a new random bit of what ever the hell I'm blogging....

"Nunabutt, the internal monolugues. Act one scene five."

No comments:

Post a Comment