Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Misuse and Misconception in the English Language

The idea of tackling the Strange One as he adds cheese to an already incredible chicory salad I just made has to be up there on the list of things that could be considered the BEST THING EVER! (There’s more on the Chicory Salad to come.)

 

The term, “Best thing ever,” is a misconception and misuse of the English language that seems to dominate our everyday conversations in recent years.  Now, mind you, I like it only slightly better than groovy and light years more than hella, yet, I can be heard using it.  In my own defense, it’s a statement learned by osmosis. 

 

I have come to learn however that there are particular categories in the use of this term.  We aren’t talking about sex, drugs and rock n’ roll.  We’re talking about that child-like sense of awe in which we find things that for a single moment bring us an air of whimsy borne on a flight of fancy if you will allow me some clichés. We tend to re-live our childhood sense of awesome (not awe, that IS different) in these moments. 

 

Ironically, many of us under the age of thirty-five can list our best things ever in a variety of ways or even in form of a countdown, as Vh1 has so plagued us.  For instance, Jones Soda Strawberry Lime is the BEST SODA EVER! In n’ Out Burger is the BEST FAST FOOD EVER!

 

I think it honestly comes down to being the way that the minds of this generation 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I live in California, and I end up using the word hella more often than I would prefer. I immediately feel like sitting in a corner somewhere and chomping down on a bar of soap. It seems to me like California is where the english language goes to die."

    This is my second post in response, because shortly after the first post, I forgot how I got to this blog, and wondered if I had come across the wrong person and hit delete out of confused embarrassment.

    If that's too confusing, I wanted to quote myself, because I love seeing myself type.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete